Wednesday, June 13, 2007

ISTE Standards

Some of the teachers, included me, in our district are not knowledgeable in computers. It has not been mandatory to be proficient in computers. Teachers with computer experience are integrating their subjects with computer activities. This year we had to do many reports in students' scores in reading and math. I had to learn with some help from my co-workers. This year I have learn to use my computer more efficient from my professors. I learned how to create a blog.
Technology is not in the agenda with principals. They are more concern in raising our scores in math and reading. We have spend more time in teaching to the test.
I read the NETS for teachers and students. There is lots of work to be done in the coming school year.
The first thing I would do is to discuss the ethical, legal, and human issues in using computers. I can start by discussing the proper use of passwords, be responsible, and to promote safe use of technology resources. Creating a poster with guidelines can help remind students.
Students will learn computer terminology by writing the words and drawing illustrations. Students can observe and explore the parts of the computer. I will demonstrate how all the components work together
to create a product. Students will learn the steps to turn on and off the computers in the the morning and at the end of the day.
I would make time for my students to work together in gathering information for reports in nonfiction topics. They will have the opportunity to select information resources for the appropriate task in the internet to make their presentation. This activity will enhance their decision making skill.
Video Streaming is another activity. Students locate videos with topics
taught in class, such as insects and planets. They learn how operate the symbols of play, rewind, stop, and so on.
When my students have projects, I am going to encourage my parents
to lead and support their children in using multimedia to present their finish product.
One of the most important thing to teach a student is to have positive attitudes toward operating computers. My job is to provide a creative learning environment for my students.

No comments: